Skip to content
Quick exitFirst NationsTranslationsGet helpSearch

About the Commission

Australia likes to see itself as a fair country. Unfortunately, sometimes people are treated unfairly because of what they look like, where they come from or what they believe. In Victoria there are laws to protect people from unfair behaviour and the Victorian Equal Opportunity and Human Rights Commission helps people who have been treated unfairly. Find out about your rights and how we can help you.

Father and daughter sitting on a sofa. Dad is holding a digital tablet and they are both looking at it..
About your rightsHow we can help youContact usAbout the Commission

What is the Commission?

The Commission is an independent organisation that was created to try to stop discrimination, sexual harassment, and racial and religious vilification.

We help people resolve complaints about these unfair behaviours and also:

  • provide information about equal opportunity and human rights to people and organisations
  • educate and consult with organisations to help them become fairer
  • carry out research and investigations on serious discrimination and sexual harassment
  • encourage the Victorian Government to make stronger laws to protect people, and make sure our current laws are working.

How can the Commission help me?

We can tell you about your right to fair treatment, or you can tell us if you have been treated unfairly. We might be able to help the behaviour stop and get you an apology or compensation.

We do not give legal advice but we can tell you more about your rights and Victoria’s laws that protect your rights.

These laws protect people from unfair treatment in public life. They do not relate to private behaviour, such as something that happens at home.

Find out how we can help you

We can help you if you have experienced unfair behaviour, including:

  • discrimination
  • sexual harassment
  • racial and religious vilification
  • victimisation

We can also tell you about Victoria’s Charter of Human Rights and Responsibilities.

Find out more about your rights

When can’t the Commission help me?

We can’t help if the behaviour happened in private (for example, at home).

We can’t help with questions about:

  • your visa status or immigration issues
  • police matters
  • issues with federal organisations (such as the Department of Home Affairs).

We can give you information about Victoria’s Charter of Human Rights and Responsibilities but we do not handle complaints related to the Charter.

Other organisations that may be able to help you if we cannot:

Asylum seekers, refugees and migrants

Refugee Legal
Ph: (03) 9413 0100, 10am–2pm, Wed and Fri

Consumers’ rights

Consumer Affairs Victoria
Ph: 1300 55 81 81

Family violence or sexual assault

1800 Respect
Ph: 1800 737 732
Interpreter: 13 14 50

Human rights breaches and complaints about Victorian government organisations

Victorian Ombudsman
Ph: (03) 9613 6222 or 1800 806 314 (regional Victoria only)

Immigration, visa and citizenship delays, and detention centres

Commonwealth Ombudsman
Ph: 1300 362 072

Legal support

Victoria Legal Aid
Ph: 1300 792 387

Complaints about police conduct

Independent Broad-based Anti-corruption Commission
Ph: 1300 735 135

Tenants’ rights (help for people who rent their home)

Tenants Victoria
Ph: (03) 9416 2577
Social housing tenants advice line: 1800 068 860

Women’s health

Multicultural Centre for Women’s Health
Ph: 1800 656 421

Workplace safety issues or bullying

WorkSafe Victoria
Advice line: 1800 136 089
Emergencies :13 23 60

Was this page helpful?
Please select Yes or No and the second form section will appear below:

Level 3, 204 Lygon Street Carlton Victoria 3053

General enquiries

1300 891 848

Enquiry line
1300 292 153 or (03) 9032 3583

1300 152 494

NRS Voice Relay
1300 555 727 then use 1300 292 153

Media enquiries
0447 526 642

The Victorian Equal Opportunity and Human Rights Commission acknowledges that we work on the traditional lands of the Wurundjeri people of the Kulin Nation. We also work remotely and serve communities on the lands of other Traditional Custodians.

We pay our respects to their Elders past and present.