This practical course builds the skills of disability advocates in using human rights and equal opportunity laws to effect meaningful change. The course develops understanding of rights and confidence in using and applying the law to uphold these rights.
Suitable for disability advocates and people with lived experiences of disability discrimination who seek to develop advocacy skills to bring about individual and social change.
Tuesday 23 and Tuesday 30 April 2024
Tuesday 13 and Tuesday 20 August 2024
2 x three-hour sessions
This course is free to attend however registration is required
Key learning objectives
- understand the human rights principles that underlay the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities
- know how the Charter of Human Rights & Responsibilities works to protect the rights of people with disabilities in dealing with Victorian public authorities
- identify the key protections provided by the Equal Opportunity Act in Victoria, particularly in service provision
- apply their knowledge of the law as it relates to the six types of disability advocacy in employment and service provision
- practice identifying appropriate mechanism to address and resolve human rights issues.
Live online via Zoom
We will be providing live captioning. If you require further adjustments, please advise us of your specific needs two weeks ahead of the session times.
Submit an application
If you are interested in undertaking this course, you will need to submit an application by providing us with the following information:
- email address
- phone number
- affiliations- what organisations are you associated with, what kind of advocacy work you are involved in?
- why you are interested in attending this course?
- how you could use the knowledge, skills and experience gained in the course to contribute to making change in Victoria?
Please email your answers to the Education team.
Priority access to this course will be given to people with disabilities engaged in advocacy work.
Subscribe to receive updates
Register your email to receive an alert every second month with our upcoming courses.
We are the experts in Victoria’s Charter of Human Rights and Responsibilities (2006), the Equal Opportunity Act (2010) and the Change or Suppression (Conversion) Practices Prohibition Act (2021).
Our courses can help you and your organisation develop, adopt and drive leading practice on equal opportunity and human rights, and prevent discrimination.
View our other scheduled courses
Our human rights and equality courses are delivered face to face or live online, and offer individuals or small teams an opportunity to deepen their understanding of human rights and equal opportunity issues.