Skip to content
Quick exitFirst NationsTranslationsGet helpSearch

Right to privacy and reputation

Section 13 of the Charter of Human Rights and Responsibilities (the Charter) protects your right not to have your privacy, family, home or correspondence interfered with. It also gives you the right to not have your reputation unlawfully attacked. The Charter applies to public authorities in Victoria, such as state and local government departments and agencies, and people delivering services on behalf of the government.

How does the law protect me?

Every person has a right to enjoy their private life free from interference.

Under the Charter, you have a right to not have your privacy, family life, home or correspondence, such as mail or email, interfered with. This right applies to surveillance such as closed-circuit television, collection of personal information by public authorities, results of medical tests or examinations and other confidential matters. The right covers extended family and other types of family arrangements, such as foster care or legal guardians.

Under the Charter, you also have the right to not have your reputation attacked unlawfully.

Can this right be limited in any way?

In some circumstances, one person’s right may come into conflict with the right of another person or group. In these circumstances, it can be necessary to limit or restrict these rights. Under section 7(2) of the Charter, rights may be limited in certain circumstances, but it must be reasonable, necessary, justified and proportionate.


Privacy of local residents and planning laws – Swancom Pty Ltd v Yarra CC [2009] VCAT 923

The owners of a popular Richmond pub, the Corner Hotel, applied to extend the closing time of the venue’s courtyard from 11.30pm to 3am and to increase the number of patrons the venue could accommodate from 750 people to 1,300. Yarra City Council refused the Corner Hotel’s application, because it felt the extended trading hours and additional patrons would have a negative impact on the privacy of residents living near the pub. The venue’s owners applied to VCAT to overrule the council’s decision. VCAT agreed that the council needed to consider its obligation under the Charter to protect the privacy of local residents when making decisions, developing local laws and policies, and providing services.

Read more

How we can help

We can give you information about Victoria’s Charter of Human Rights and Responsibilities but we do not handle complaints related to the Charter.

If you would like more information about the Charter and your rights, please contact us.

For information about the legal history of this right, case law or Australia’s human rights framework, you can read more in our Policy and Legal sections of our website.

How to make a human rights complaint

If you think your human rights have been breached, you should contact the Victorian Ombudsman.

If you want to make a complaint about police conduct, contact the Independent Broad-based Anti-corruption Commission.

Was this page helpful?
Please select Yes or No and the second form section will appear below:

Level 3, 204 Lygon Street Carlton Victoria 3053

General enquiries

1300 891 848

Enquiry line
1300 292 153 or (03) 9032 3583

1300 152 494

NRS Voice Relay
1300 555 727 then use 1300 292 153

Media enquiries
0447 526 642

The Victorian Equal Opportunity and Human Rights Commission acknowledges that we work on the traditional lands of the Wurundjeri people of the Kulin Nation. We also work remotely and serve communities on the lands of other Traditional Custodians.

We pay our respects to their Elders past and present.